Fax machines have been around a long time, and are a key piece of communication for many organizations. A virtual fax machine allows you to send and receive faxes through email, removing the need to have a physical fax machine and allowing you to fax on the go.
This page only demonstrates how to send virtual faxes. If you would like to receive virtual faxes, contact a system admin to make sure this feature is properly set up. To learn how to receive a virtual fax, see Fax Settings (Receive Virtual Faxes).
- Virtual fax machines are only available within the US and Canada.
- Virtual faxes can only be sent to external fax numbers; any virtual faxes sent between two internal extensions will fail.
- This service is not intended to be a high-volume fax solution. A single system can send up to 5 pages per fax (4 pages using Microsoft Outlook) and up to 25 pages per hour.
- For assistance sending faxes with Apple Mail, please contact Customer Support.
Admin Setup Required
A virtual fax machine provides a way to send and receive faxes through email. These virtual fax machines are set up by a system admin. If you do not have the virtual fax machine’s access code, contact your system admin for assistance.
1. From your email account, compose a new message.
2. Enter faxNumber@‹domain›.fax.onjive.com in the “TO:” field.
Replace faxNumber with the external 10 digit fax phone number, without the 1 or any dashes (i.e. 8012321987). You cannot send a virtual fax to a number that requires an extension (i.e. 8012321987 ext 1121).
Replace ‹domain› with your unique domain (found in parentheses at the top of the admin dashboard).
3. Enter the virtual fax machine’s access code (provided by a system admin) in the “SUBJECT:” field.
Note: If you add a subject, enter a space after the access code and then include the subject (i.e. 294034210 March Invoice).
4. Remove ALL text from the body of the email, including email signatures.
5. Attach file(s) to the email.
Supported File Types
- Microsoft Office: .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx
- Document: .pdf, .rtf, .txt
- Image: .jpg, .tiff, .png, .bmp, .gif
Video and audio files are not supported.
- Convert all files to a .pdf or .tiff for faster and more reliable transmissions.
- Documents of 5 pages or less (to fax a 13 page document, break it up into 3 smaller faxes).
- File sizes smaller than 5 MB. Larger files may experience lag time and have a greater chance for failure.
6. Click [Send] (Common Virtual Fax Errors).
Note: If the fax was delivered successfully, you may or may not receive an email confirmation as this functionally must be enabled by your system admin. However, emails are always sent in the case of transmission failures. Either way, all email notifications come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure that emails from this address are not marked as spam.