Valuable VoIP Tips
If a business is considering switching to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), it is extremely helpful if their technology experts are up-to-date with the latest telecommunications information.
This guide helps dissect the complex terminology associated with VoIP.
- Dedicated Routers – These allow VoIP calls to be placed on traditional telephones. This device connects a high-speed internet modem and then attaches to a regular telephone. No special software or computer programs are required. The adapter is portable so employees can easily bring it with them when they travel, using it wherever Internet access is available.
- USB Adapters – This device also allows employees to place VoIP calls on traditional telephone headsets.
- Softphones – This type of VoIP program allows employees to make calls directly from their computers using sound cards, microphones and headsets.
- VoIP Phones – While these types of phones look like old-style telephones, they are in fact dedicated VoIP phones that operate very much like a traditional system.
- Requirements – A dedicated Internet service connection is required.
- Power Outages – When there is an electrical outage, or the Internet connection is not available, VoIP services are also not accessible.
- Bandwidth – A high-speed connection is necessary, or call clarity is sacrificed. Businesses can call Jive, give them detailed bandwidth information and inquire if it will work with their current system.
As with any type of Internet or computer-based system, there is always the risk of threats and attackers. By enforcing the following tips, companies can ensure their VoIP system remains attack-free.
- Always use anti-virus software, malware and anti-spyware programs.
- Be extra cautious when opening email attachments.
- Verify the security of downloaded files, including the authenticity of the sender.
- Ensure web browser security is active.
- Make sure the computer’s firewall is on.
- Always use strong passwords.
- Keep all software applications up-to-date.
By following these valuable business VoIP tips, companies can ensure higher employee productivity, lower business phone service costs and efficient phone systems for small businesses.